tandoori roti on tawa | tandoori roti recipe | tandoori roti without oven recipe with step by step photos and video recipe. a very popular indian bread served with indian curries which is roasted in a big clay tandoor – a type of a clay oven. tandoori roti is the staple food of the people belonging to northern part of india.
at home it becomes extremely difficult to set up tandoor and cook roti, so as an easy alternative i have used tawa to cook the tandoori roti. tandoori roti is prepared using wheat flour and curd as the main ingredient. curd helps in making roti soft. you will find roti for dinner in almost all north indian and gujarati families.
there is no hidden secret behind preparing tandoori roti. it is as simple as making chapatti, just the technique is little different. you might not get the desired result at first go, but try 2-3 times and you will become expert in preparing restaurant style tandoori roti at home.
whenever we go out for dinner, we generally order tandoori roti or garlic naan. my husband is a huge fan of punjabi food and this has helped me a lot to learn and prepare new recipes. best part of having tandoori roti is that it is prepared using wheat flour as personally i don’t prefer using plain flour / maida for any of my cooking.
i would request you to have a look at my other indian bread recipe such as garlic naan, gobi paratha. and you can check out my indian curries recipes which can be served with roti; dum aloo recipe, veg handi recipe, shahi paneer recipe and spicy methi matar malai recipe
tandoori roti recipe on tawa | tandoori roti on stove top recipe| tandoori roti without oven video recipe:
tandoori roti recipe on tawa | tandoori roti on stove top recipe| tandoori roti without oven recipe card:
- Serves: 5
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 10
- Saturated fat: 4
- Unsaturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 17
- Sugar: 5
- Sodium: 172
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 16
- Cholesterol: 430
- 1 cup wheat flour
- ¼ cup maida / all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp oil
- ¼ cup yoghurt / curd
- lukewarm water as required
- ½ cup dry flour to roll roti (any wheat flour / maida)
- butter to apply
- in a bowl, take wheat flour and add all purpose flour to it.
- add in all dry ingredients; baking soda, salt, suagr and black sesame seeds.
- mix everything well.
- add oil, yoghurt and mix properly.
- now make a soft dough using lukewarm water as required. (i have used ¼ cup of water)
- the dough will be soft but little sticky, don't worry about that.
- now apply some oil on the dough and cover it with damp cloth.
- let it rest for 30 minutes.
- now knead the dough for few seconds and divide it into 5 equal parts.
- dust the flour with some dry flour and roll roti.
- heat the tawa on high flame.
- the tawa should be very hot, now apply water generously on one side of the roti.
- stick the watered side of the roti to the tawa using your fingers.
- once bubbles start to develop, flip the tawa upside down directly on the medium flame.
- cook untl the roti is cooked properly, till it gets golden brown.
- put it in a serving plate, apply butter and serve hot roti immediately.
- prepare soft dough results in softer rotis.
- tawa should b very hot while sticking the roti to it.
- apply water generously so it sticks easily to the tawa.
- you can even cook the roti in a cooker but preparing on tawa gives better result.
- lastly, you can apply ghee instead of butter, it depends on your preference and taste.
tandoori roti recipe on tawa | tandoori roti on stove top recipe| tandoori roti without oven step by step photo recipe:
- in a bowl, take the wheat flour and add all purpose flour to it.
2. now add all the dry ingredients – baking soda, salt, sugar and black sesame seeds.
3. now add oil and yoghurt to the dry mixture.
4. using lukewarm water, prepare soft dough.
5. apply some oil on the dough.
6. cover the dough with damp cloth and let it rest for 30 minutes.
7. quickly knead the dough.
8. divide the dough into 5 equal parts.
9. using dry wheat flour, roll roti into a slightly thick round.
10. apply water generously on one side of the roti. this will help roti to stick to the tawa.
11. stick the watered side of the roti to the tawa using your fingers or cloth.
12. cook till you see bubbles on the roti
13. turn the tawa upside down directly on the medium flame and cook till it gets light brown.
14. apply butter on the tandoori roti.
15. serve hot hot tandoori roti along with your favourite dal or curry.