methi matar malai recipe | spicy methi matar malai recipe | how to make methi matar malai recipe with step by step pics and video recipe. as the name says it all, a rich creamy gravy vegetable as methi, matar and cream as the main ingredient which goes well with tandoori roti, garlic naan or even with jeera rice. with this recipe you can do variations of your choice by adding in paneer pieces or by omitting matar and make methi paneer malai or methi matar paneer malai.
even though we are using methi as the main ingredient, the vegetable will not be bitter in taste as cream helps to balance the bitterness in fenugreek. here i am sharing my version of spicy methi matar malai which my husband likes. generally, methi matar malai is prepared in a mild creamy gravy, but there are quite a few people who I personally know do not enjoy that taste. so i tried making it with little variation and now everyone loves it.
you will find methi matar malai on the menu of almost every restaurant serving north indian cuisine. we get fenugreek and peas in abundance in winter so this is a must recipe to have at least once in the season. and as we all know, fenugreek offers great health benefits as well. if you like this vegetable, you can prepare it with frozen fenugreek leaves or kauri methi too, in the same way. and trust me, it would taste delicious as well.
i would like to share few of my other recipes with you which are cooked using methi, like aloo methi kulcha recipe, methi na gota recipe, methi thepla recipe, methi matar malai paratha recipe. you can even check out my other indian curries such as shahi paneer recipe, paneer lababdar recipe, corn capsicum masala recipe, dum aloo recipe and veg handi recipe.
methi matar malai recipe | spicy methi matar malai recipe | how to make methi matar malai video recipe:
methi matar malai recipe | spicy methi matar malai recipe | how to make methi matar malai recipe card:
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 215
- Fat: 3
- Saturated fat: 1
- Unsaturated fat: 1
- Trans fat: 2
- Carbohydrates: 44
- Sugar: 15
- Sodium: 480
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
- 2 tsp oil
- a pinch asafoetida / hing
- 1 cup methi, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 bay leaf (hinde: tej patta, gujarati: tamal patra)
- 1 cinnamon stick (hindi: dal chini, gujarati: taj)
- 2 cardamom (elaichi)
- 2 cloves (hindi: laung, gujarati: laving)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic-chilli paste
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder (hindi: dhania powder, gujarati: dhana-jeeru)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup green peas, boiled
- 2 tbsp cream
- ½ tsp red chilli sauce
- ½ tsp tomato ketchup
- heat the oil in a pan and then add asafoetida / hing to it.
- now add finely chopped methi and salt.
- saute on a high flame for 2 minutes and keep aside till needed.
- take a pan, add oil and let it heat properly.
- now add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves and let it sputter.
- then add finely chopped one small onion and saute until it turns translucent.
- add in ginger-garlic-chilli paste and saute till raw smell disappears.
- then add chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes or until it turns soft and mushy.
- now add spices like turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder and salt.
- let the spices cook for a minute and add water.
- then add boiled peas, cream, red chilli sauce, tomato ketchup and mix properly.
- add methi, mix well and cook for 2 more minutes.
- spicy methi matar malai is ready to serve.
- an alternate method for reducing bitterness of methi is to add salt to the methi and let it stand for half an hour and then squeeze the methi.
- you can add paneer to the recipe, even that would taste good.
- add more cream to get creamy and rich gravy.
- you can adjust spice level according to your taste buds.
methi matar malai recipe | spicy methi matar malai recipe | how to make methi matar malai step by step photo recipe:
to fry methi:
- heat the oil and add asafoetida to it.
2. add methi and salt to it.
3. saute for 2-3 minutes and keep aside.
for spicy methi matar malai recipe:
- heat the oil in a pan.
2. add cumin seeds, bay leaf, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
3. add chopped onion and saute until it turns translucent.
4. add ginger-garlic-chilli paste and saute until raw smell disappears.
5. add finely chopped tomatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes or until they turn soft.
6. add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
7. add water and cook for a minute.
8. add boiled peas, cream and mix properly.
9. add red chilli sauce and add tomato ketchup.
10. cook for 2-3 minutes.
11. spicy methi matar malai is ready to serve.