jeera rice recipe | jeera pulao recipe | how to make jeera rice with step by step photo and video recipe. it is an extremely popular jeera / cumin flavoured rice recipe from a north indian cuisine which is served with different types of dal and curries.
jeera rice recipe | jeera pulao recipe | how to make jeera rice with detailed photo and video recipe. basically jeera rice is prepared using ghee, jeera and rice, slightly burnt jeera gives very nice taste and smell to the jeera rice. jeera rice is quick and easy to prepare yet tastes very delicious with dal tadka and dal makhani.
traditional way of jeera rice does not consist of adding onions to it, but we like it that way so I have shared recipe of jeera rice the way i cook. you can add peas to the recipe after salting rice to make it matar pulao or peas pulao. jeera rice can also be made with the cooked rice, then tempering it with ghee and jeera and then tossing in the rice. usually, i prefer cooking jeera rice in a traditional way and it gives nice aromatic flavour and taste to the rice.
jeera rice is the simplest recipe of preparing rice dish in north indian cuisine. adding cashew nuts to the recipe will enhance the flavour of the cumin rice too. cooking rice in a deep pan instead of cooking in a pressure cooker helps to get every strain of rice separated.
if you are looking for some more rice dishes, i suggest you to check out my other rice recipes, particularly, garlic pulao recipe , pancharatna khichdi recipe, veg hyderabadi biryani recipe and tawa pulao recipe.
jeera rice recipe | jeera pulao recipe | restaurant style jeera rice video recipe:
jeera rice recipe | jeera pulao recipe | restaurant style jeera rice recipe card:
- Serves: 3
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Calories: 176
- Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Sugar: 36g
- Sodium: 4mg
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 1g
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 bay leaf broken into half
- 2 pieces cinnamon (hindi: dal chini, gujarati: taj)
- 2 cloves (hindi: laung, gujarati: laving)
- 2 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 6-7 curry leaves (hindi: kadi patta, gujarati: mitho limbdo)
- 1 cup basmati rice (soaked in water for at least 30 minutes)
- 1 medium sized onion, thinly sliced
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp + 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 2¼ cups water
- heat the ghee in a pan.
- add bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves and cardamons.
- add cumin seeds and let it sputter and get burnt slightly.
- then add curry leaves and mix well.
- now add rice and saute for a minute.
- then add sliced onions and salt to it and saute for an another minute.
- now add coriander leaves and mix well.
- add water and mix once.
- now cover and cook rice for approximately 7-8 minutes.
- finally, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with your choice or dal or curry.
- cooked rice can be used to make jeera rice, prepare temper using ghee, cumin seeds, onions and toss in the cooked rice.
- if using cooked rice, let it cool down completely, to get every grain of rice separated.
- you can add onions and make it little brown before adding rice to it.
- add generous amount of coriander leaves to the rice to make it more flavourful.
- let jeera/ cumin seeds gets burnt lightly to get restaurant style aromatic and flavourful rice.
- onions can be avoided.
jeera rice recipe | jeera pulao recipe | restaurant style jeera rice with step by step photo recipe:
- heat the pan and add ghee, cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, cardamoms and cloves.
2. now add cumin seeds and let it sputter.
3. then add curry leaves and soaked basmati rice.
4. mix well.
5. then add onions and salt to taste.
6. mix well and saute for a minute.
7. then add coriander leaves and mix well.
8. now add 2 cups of water and mix.
9. cover and cook on a simmer for 8-10 minutes or till rice are cooked.
10. jeera rice are ready to sere hot with dal tadka or curry of your choice.