pav bhaji recipe | mumbai pav bhaji recipe | how to make pav bhaji video recipe and step by step photo recipe. an extremely popular food on the streets of mumbai. be it a normal worker or a BMW owner, you will see everyone standing near road side stalls to relish this spicy and tangy curry prepared with the mixture of potatoes, french beans, peas, , cauliflower, capsicum, onions and tomatoes as the main ingredients with the blend of few spices and loads of butter
if we talk about the history of pav bhaji; it’s actually very interesting. the pav bhaji literally means bread and vegetable curry. it originated way back when textile mills flourished in mumbai. the main reason behind the concept of pav bhaji was ; firstly the mill workers got really very less time to have their food and the second reason was that, if they would eat full lunch, they would feel sleepy and then it would become difficult to work as they had to return to the physical work.
a very smart vendor came and realized the problem of mill workers and what he did was , he changed the traditional roti and rice to pav and the curry to the mixture of fine vegetables with the blending of spices called bhaji. and that was about it – pav bhaji was born.
nowadays, you will get to relish delicious pav bhaji almost at every indian restaurant; but trust me you will never get to have the taste which you will find at the food stalls on the streets of mumbai. every time i make pav bhaji, there is always room for improvement to get the nearest taste of the pav bhaji of mumbai , as i am not in mumbai and i seriously miss the mumbai pav bhaji a lot.
you know what’s the secret ingredient prepared by the stall owners ?? butter … yes butter .. butter and loads of butter. more the butter.. the better it tastes. i generally prefer using amul butter while making pav bhaji. but one can use any good quality salted butter as it would taste much better than the unsalted one.
here is the recipe which has got nearly the same taste which you relish on the food stall of juhu beach in mumbai. and the feather soft pav , which you see in the picture are home made too. so what are you waiting for….
let’s start to make the best pav bhaji ever and make everyone lick their fingers may it be a kitty party or normal evening dinner.
pav bhaji recipe | mumbai pav bhaji | how to make pav bhaji video recipe:
pav bhaji recipe | mumbai pav bhaji | how to make pav bhaji recipe card:
- 8 kashmiri red chillies
- 12-15 pods garlic, chopped
- 1 small piece ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 10-12 french beans, roughly chopped (fansi)
- ½ cup green peas
- ½ cup cauliflower, chopped
- 2 big potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ tsp asafoetida / hing
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum, finely chopped
- 4 big tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- salt to taste
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
- take dry kashmiri red chillies in a bowl, cut them into half and remove seeds.
- add water and soak chillies for at least 2 hours.
- add chopped garlic pods and ginger piece.
- now add soaked red chillies.
- then add salt and oil.
- and grind to a smooth paste.
- roughly chop french beans, add peas.
- add cauliflower.
- then add potatoes.
- boil in a pressure cooker with steam for 3 whistles.
- mash the vegetables properly and keep aside.
- heat oil and butter in a pan.
- add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- then add prepared red chilli-garlic paste.
- saute till the raw smell disappears.
- now add finely chopped onions and saute till light golden in colour.
- then add finely chopped capsicum and cook for 2 minutes.
- now add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turns soft.
- then add coriander leaves.
- now mash properly so the tomatoes turn mushy.
- then add all dry ingredients, red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt.
- cook for a minute so the masala cooks well.
- add boiled mashed vegetables and water.
- mix properly and now mash the bhaji till all the ingredients are mashed well.
- garnish with butter and coriander leaves.
- serve hot with pav, lemon wedge and onion - tomato - cucumber - corainder salad.
- pav bhaji tastes great when cooked in butter and served with dollop of butter too.
- sprinkling grated cheese on the pav bhaji tastes very yummy too.
- use ripe tomatoes only, it will give nice tangy flavour and bright red colour to the bhaji.
- as we all struggle, to make our kids eat vegetables, pav bhaji becomes an easy option with kids.
- kashmiri red chilli gives authentic taste to the pav bhaji.
- do not add water in vegetables while pressure cooking. add water in the pressure cooker and cook vegetables by steaming method.
- pav bhaji is always served with lemon wedge and salad of onion, tomatoes, cucumber and coriander leaves with little salt in it.
- fry the pav with butter, little pav bhaji masala and coriander leaves.
pav bhaji recipe | mumbai pav bhaji | how to make pav bhaji recipe with step by step photo recipe:
for red chilli-garlic paste:
- take kashmiri red chillies in a small bowl.
2. cut them into half and remove seeds from them.
3. add water and soak red chillies in water for 2 hours.
4. take chopped garlic pods in a mixer jar.
5. now add a piece of ginger to it.
6. then add soaked red chillies.
7. finally add salt and oil to it.
8. grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
for pav bhaji:
- roughly chop french beans.
2. transfer in a small vessel, and add peas to it.
3. add roughly chopped cauliflower.
4. then add chopped potatoes.
5. pressure cook by steaming for 3 whistles.
6. mash the vegetables, using vegetable masher and keep aside.
7. heat a pan and add oil and butter to it.
8. add cumin seeds and once it crackles add asafoetida / hing.
9. now add prepared red chilli-garlic paste.
10. saute till raw smell disappears.
11. now add finely chopped onions to it.
12. then saute till the onions turn light golden in colour.
13. now add finely chopped capsicum.
14. mix well and saute again for 2 minutes.
15. now add chopped tomatoes.
16. then add chopped coriander leaves.
17. cook till tomatoes turn soft and mushy and mash the mixture well using vegetable masher.
18. now add dry spice; red chilli powder, pav bhaji masala and salt.
19. mix well and let masala cook properly for a minute.
20. now add boiled, mashed vegetables and water.
21. mix properly and mash till all the ingredients are mashed well.
22. finally turn off the flame and add lemon juice.
23. garnish bhaji with a spoonful of butter and chopped coriander leaves.
24. serve bhaji with pav, salad and lemon wedge.