mix vegetable khichdi recipe | panchratna khichdi recipe | vegetable khichdi recipe | how to make vegetable khichdi video recipe and step by step photo recipe. panchratna khichdi or mix vegetable khichdi is a traditional gujarati recipe. mix vegetable khichdi is a very simple yet delicious recipe prepared with using rice with lentils and mixed vegetables. i love khichdi because it is very delicious and comforting.
my husband and i are very fond of vegetable khichdi. it is very comforting especially after having heavy meals for few days. when we go out for vacation, we enjoy eating different types of cuisines but after coming home, our first meal is always khichdi as it is very comforting. we love to eat khichdi hot with yoghurt and papad. in winter, we like to eat khichdi with kadhi and papad.
my khichdi is always like medium consistency, you can add more water to make porridge like khichdi or little less water to get pulao type consistency, depending on your likings. traditional khichdi is made in pressure cooker. you can even cook khichdi in a deep pan with a lid. adding different types of lentils, rice and mix vegetables to the khichdi makes it very nutritive too. i like rice and lentils in almost equal proportion in khichdi, but you can add less lentils as per your taste.
you can call khichdi one pot healthy meal. i prepare khichdi using rice with combination of moong dal, moong yellow dal, tur dal and chana dal. you can add masoor dal also, if you like. generally, when it comes to vegetables, i add all the vegetables including brinjals and tindora to my khichdi. however, here I have used potatoes, peas and carrots.
you can check my other khichdi recipes like tur dal khichdi, sabudana khichdi, moraiya khichdi and dudhi khichdi. You can even check out other gujarati traditional dishes especially, stuffed dal dhokli, muthiya, handwo and sev tameta nu shak.
mix vegetable khichdi recipe | panchratna khichdi recipe | vegetable khichdi video recipe:
mix vegetable khichdi recipe | panchratna khichdi recipe | vegetable khichdi recipe card:
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 190
- Fat: 9
- Saturated fat: 10
- Unsaturated fat: 1
- Trans fat: 3
- Carbohydrates: 25
- Sugar: 18
- Sodium: 220
- Fiber: 5
- Protein: 10
- Cholesterol: 5
- 2 tbsp tur dal (arhar dal)
- 2 tbsp yellow moong dal (mogar dal)
- 2 tbsp green moong dal (mung dal)
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tsp methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3-4 cloves (hindi: laung, gujarati: laving)
- 8 whole pepper corns
- 1 cinnamon stick (hindi: dal chini, gujarati: taj)
- 2 kashmiri red chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds (hindi: sarson, gujarati: rai)
- ½ tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp carrots, chopped
- 2 tbsp green peas
- 1 small potato, chopped
- ½ tomato, chopped
- 1½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 - 2½ cups water
- take all the lentils in a bowl.
- wash properly 3 times with water.
- add enough water to cover the lentils and soak for 2 hours.
- take rice in a bowl and wash properly with water.
- add enough water and soak rice for 20 minutes.
- heat oil in a pan.
- then add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and kashmiri red chillies.
- add mustard seeds and once they sputter, add asafoetida.
- now add ginger and garlic paste and saute till the raw smell disappears.
- then add chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
- now add chopped carrots, green peas, potatoes and tomatoes.
- now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt and mix properly.
- then add water, mix al pressure cook khichdi for 3 whistles on high flame and then let khichdi simmer on very low flame for 10-15 minutes.
- serve hot with curd and papad.
- cook khichdi in ghee for rich flavour.
- add 2 cups of water to make pulao type khichdi and add 2½ cups of water to make khichdi made in the recipe.
- you can adjust the spice level according to your taste.
- adding methi seeds is optional.
- inserting paper towel will help in absorbing excess water coming out from the pressure cooker.
- i like equal amount of rice and lentils in my khichdi, you can use lentils half to rice as well.
- soaking lentils and rice help in cooking khichdi faster.
mix vegetable khichdi recipe | panchratna khichdi recipe | vegetable khichdi with step by step photo recipe:
for soaking lentils:
- add tur dal, yellow moong dal, green moong dal chana dal and methi in a bowl.
2. wash dal properly with water and soak for 2 hours.
for soaking rice:
- wash rice properly with water and soak for 30 minutes.
- heat oil in a pressure cooker.
2. add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick and red chillies.
3. add mustard seeds and once they sputter, add asafoetida.
4. add ginger and garlic paste. saute till raw smell disappears.
6. add chopped onions and saute for few seconds.
7. now add chopped carrots, green peas, potatoes and tomatoes.
8. then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
9. mix properly.
10. add water to the khichdi.
11. pressure cook khichdi for 3 whistles on a high flame and then on simmer for 10-15 minutes.
12. insert paper towel and whistle.
13. mix and serve hot khichdi.
14. delicious, healthy and yummy khichdi is ready to eat.