dal tadka recipe | restaurant style dal tadka recipe | punjabi dal tadka recipe with step by step photo recipe and video recipe. dal tadka is one of the most popular and delicious dal of the north indian cuisine.there are many different types of dal in punjabi cuisine but dal tadka is the most popular and simple yet delicious dal.
if are looking for restaurant style recipes, i have posted quite a few on this blog, particularly, garlic naan on tawa recipe, paneer lababdar recipe, shahi paneer recipe, kashmiri dum aloo recipe, tandoori roti recipe and barwan bhindi recipe.
in hindi, tadka means tempering. basically, after preparing the dal, it is tempered with oil or ghee, cumin seeds, chopped garlic and whole red chilli. when we talk about tempering, it is an essential part of indian cooking method. as you will find tempering in preparation of dal, chutney and raitas as well. you will find dal tadka on the menu of each and every restaurants serving north india cuisine.
punjabi dal tadka is one such dal which is loved by everyone, be it a kid or an elderly person. It goes very well with any paratha, naan, plain rice, pulao, jeera rice or even with roasted papad. i love dal tadka and for me complete meal means dal tadka, jeera rice, roasted papad and mango achar with a lemon wedge.
dal tadka can be made from yellow split mung dal or with the mixture of yellow mung split dal and arhar dal (toor dal) or with only arhar daal or by mixture of arhar dal and chana dal. recipe of dal tadka varies from house to house. but when we talk about restaurant style tadka dal recipe, they cook this dal using arhar dal or by mixing little chana dal to arhar dal. generally, i cook my dal tadka using only arhar dal.
finally, if you want to try out different dal recipes, then please try mix vegetable khichdi recipe. you can even check out other rice recipes to accompany dal tadka, jeera rice recipe and garlic pulao recipe.
dal tadka recipe | restaurant style dal tadka recipe | punjabi dal tadka video recipe:
dal tadka recipe | restaurant style dal tadka recipe | punjabi dal tadka recipe card:
- Serves: 4
- Serving size: ½ cup
- Calories: 187
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0
- Unsaturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Sugar: 0
- Sodium: 588mg
- Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0
- !for dal :
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, finely chopped
- 7-8 curry leaves (hindi: kadi patta, gujarati: limbdo)
- 1 medium sized onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- 1 small tomato, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 cups boiled arhar dal (toor dal) ( 11/2 cup dal + ½ cup water)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- !for tadka:
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1 whole red kashmiri red chilli
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- !for dal:
- heat the pan and add oil and ghee to it.
- then add chopped garlic and ginger.
- saute till the raw smell disappears.
- then add curry leaves and finely chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
- now add red chilli powder and mix well.
- now add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
- mix and cook the mixture for a minute.
- now add boiled and pureed dal to the pan and mix well.
- then add coriander leaves and bring daal to a boil and then turn off the flame.
- !for tadka:
- heat oil in a small pan.
- add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- add chopped garlic and saute till it gets little burnt.
- then add whole red kashmiri chilli and red chilli powder.
- pour the temper over the daal just before serving.
- dal tadka is ready to serve.
- you can also make dal tadka with chana daal or by mixing same quantity of chana dal and arhar dal.
- add butter before adding tadka to get that nice smooth texture.
- finally, temper the dal just before serving.
dal tadka recipe | restaurant style dal tadka recipe | punjabi dal tadka step by step photo recipe:
- heat the oil and ghee in a pan.
2. now add chopped garlic and ginger.
3. then saute till raw smell disappears.
4. add curry leaves and finely chopped onions and saute till it turns translucent.
5. now add red chilli powder and mix well.
6. add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder and salt to taste.
7. mix properly and cook masala for a minute.
8. now add boiled and pureed dal to the mixture.
9. mix and add coriander leaves and mix.
10. bring dal to one boil and then turn off the flame.
- add oil to a small pan.
2. add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
3. now add chopped garlic and saute till raw smell disappears and it gets little burnt.
4. now add whole red kashmiri chilli and red chilli powder.
5. pour the temper over the dal.
6. dal tadka is ready to serve with jeera rice.