bharela bhinda recipe | bharwan bhindi recipe| stuffed okra video recipe and step by step photo recipe. bhindi is called okra in english and bharela – bharwan means stuffed. so now you got one more name for your yummy recipe. stuffed okra.. sounds good huh..
bharwan bhindi is prepared in almost every house in india with different variations. i am going to share the recipe of bharelo bhindo which is prepared in gujarati style. bharelo bhindo, mango ras and hot fhulka roti .. ahh nothing can be as perfect lunch menu than this especially in summers.
whenever you go for eating gujarati thali, you will always find bharela bhinda in your dish. you can say that this is a traditional vegetable prepared by gujaratis. okra is one such vegetable which is loved by all the family members say from kids to older.
basic preparations of this vegetable is same. as bhindi is cut length wise to create a slit without cutting it into two pieces and the masala like sesame seeds, roasted peanuts powder, coconut powder, and different spices are mixed and stuffed in the bhindi.
this is a no onion no garlic, jain recipe. you can adjust the masala measurement according to your taste. but this is the perfect recipe which you will get to eat in the restaurants which offer gujarati thali across the world.
bharela bhinda recipe | bharwan bhindi recipe| stuffed okra video recipe:
bharela bhinda recipe | bharwan bhindi recipe| stuffed okra recipe card:
- Serves: 2
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 3 g
- Saturated fat: 0
- Unsaturated fat: 0
- Trans fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Sugar: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- 1 tbsp peanut powder, roasted & coarsely grinded
- ½ tsp white sesame seeds ( til)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1-2 tsp sugar
- salt to taste
- 3 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds (hindi: sarson seeds, gujarati: rai)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- a pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 200 gms bhindi / okra
- in a mixing bowl, add all the ingredients except desiccated coconut and coriander leaves.
- mix everything well and keep aside.
- wash bhindi properly and then dry it with kitchen napkin.
- cut bhindi into 2 inch pieces
- give a horizontal slit in the centre of the bhindi, make sure it dose not get cut into half.
- stuff little masala in the bhindi.
- in the remaining stuffing, add desiccated coconut and coriander leaves and keep aside.
- now heat a non-stick pan and add oil.
- now we need to add mustard seeds.
- once mustard seeds starts to sputter add in the jeera.
- now add stuffed bhindi and saute on a slow flame.
- now add remaining stuffing mixture and mix properly.
- cover and cook for 2 minutes.
- once the colour of bhindi changes to dark green, this means your bhindi is cooked properly.
- give a proper stir and cook for a minute and then turn off the flame.
- garnish with coriander, desiccated coconut and peanut powder.
- using fresh and soft bindi will help to cook bhindi faster.
- cook bhindi on a slow flame or else all the masala will get burnt.
- traditional recipe asks for around 4 tbsp oil, which you can use.
- adjust the spice level according to your taste. make sweet and tangy.
bharela bhinda recipe | bharwan bhindi recipe| stuffed okra step by step photo recipe:
for stuffing mix:
- in a mixing bowl, add besan and roasted peanuts powder.
2. then add white sesame seeds.
3. now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and amchur powder.
4. then add sugar.
5. now add salt to taste.
6. add oil to the dry mixture.
7. mix all the ingredients well.
for bharela bhinda:
- cut the bhindi into half from the centre.
2. now cut bhindi / okra horizontally, from the centre.
3. stuff prepared stuffing in the bhindi.
4. keep aside stuffed bhindi / okra.
5. add desiccated coconut and coriander leaves to the remaining stuffing.
6. mix the stuffing well and keep aside.
7. heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds.
8. once mustard seeds sputter, add cumin seeds.
9. now add asafoetida / hing.
10. now add stuffed bhindi.
11. stir continuously till bhindi gets little softer.
12. sprinkle remaining stuffing mixture.
13. now mix everything well.
14. then cover the pan and cook curry for 2-3 minutes.
15. once the colour of the bhindi turns dark green, your curry is ready.
16. bharela bhinda / bharwan bhindi / stuffed okra curry is ready to serve with hot phulka roti.